Saturday 9 February 2008

SONG SATURDAY NOSTALGIA


"I don't like nostalgia unless it's mine." - Reed, Lou

The day was definitely autumnal today, the first hint of autumn, perhaps. The rain we had last night had cleaned the air, cooled the temperatures and the first lot of yellow leaves from the plane trees were littering the ground. We spent the whole day working in the garden and since a neighbour was ripping out some bricks, we went and rescued them from being thrown out. Good solid red bricks are always useful and they come in handy around the garden.

Listened to some old Spanish, French and Italian pop songs of the 60s and 70s today, so here is a sample of a few. Interesting how these songs have remained with us… I remember hearing them as a child while growing up and each is associated with a host of memories.

This is Jeanette singing “Porque te Vas?” a Spanish pop song composed in 1974 by Jose Luis Perales and used to good effect in the very good 1976 film “Cria Cuervos” with Geraldine Chaplin.



Here is Salvatore Adamo in the 1965 hit “La Notte” – a classic Italian pop song about a love affair gone sour. “Even if during the day I can make myself not think of you, at night I curse you… Night makes me go crazy.”



In the 60s and 70s, a beautiful young Egyptian woman called Dalidá took France by storm and sang all the hits of those times in French and Italian mainly. Here she is singing “Marina”, by Rocco Granata (1959):

2 comments:

  1. Hey Nick, I'm finally over here a little bit, and hope to get my Blogger blog up and running in the next couple of weeks. I just wanted to come by to say hello -- great to see you over here! I loved all of these videos and have not heard any of these before, so thanks for posting them. Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you here, Red. 360 is getting to be a little dull. So many people are having problems with their blogs that they are leaving in droves. Oddly enough I am still not experiencing any issues. So I am keeping on blogging there and duplicating the yahoo blog here.
    Missed you!

    ReplyDelete