Friday 20 March 2009

LUNCHING IN BRISBANE


“No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow.” - Lin Yutang

I was in Brisbane for work today and was kept very busy all day, with not much time at all to enjoy the weather and the autumnal equinox. At this time of the year, Brisbane enjoys mild to very warm temperatures with occasional rain. Today looked like a good mix of these, with warm weather and the occasional drizzle. Notwithstanding the busy-ness of the day there was time to have some lunch, although it was in the cafeteria of the College.

This cafeteria is an interesting proposition, in that it is leased out to a group of people who run it very well as a private business. The food is an interesting mix, but the emphasis is on good nutrition with fresh ingredients and a good mix of world cuisine tastes. There are plenty of vegetarian options, some organic and macro-organic choices, a range of coffees (including decaffeinated), milks (full cream, half-cream, skim, soy, etc), fresh juices, vitamin drinks, etc.

The student body seems to enjoy eating there and also many of the staff, but I am quite surprised that there are also many people that walk in off the street. Why I should be surprised I don’t quite know, as the shopfront is right on a busy road. Perhaps it’s because I normally associate college cafeteria with gloppy food that one eats because one has no choice.

I had a very nice vegetarian focaccia sandwich today, which was not only delicious, but also quite appropriate for Earth Day! It also kept me going until this evening where I had a light dinner at the airport at the Club. Now, all I can say I’m glad it’s Friday and I’m very glad to be home…

No comments:

Post a Comment