Saturday 12 December 2009

THE FUTURE PAST



“I believe the future is only the past again, entered through another gate.” - Arthur Wing Pinero

I’m feeling a little flat tonight. Last night I didn’t sleep too well, I’ve had a long day and then tonight even after an unexpected dinner out with friends, driving back home was a rather revelatory experience where old ghosts pursued me, new situations just lived through exasperated me and where the future is mapping itself out as completely different to what I had expected of it until now. Anything seemed possible only yesterday and then today everything is upended and the past seems a better place…

A song from the past, which at the time was greatly significant. Tonight as though I am hearing it for the first time and already it has another meaning…
Mike and the Mechanics – Silent Running

4 comments:

  1. "Anything seemed possible only yesterday and then today everything is upended and the past seems a better place…"

    Things can right themselves just as quickly tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well as they say we can't go back and I dare say that most of us would really not want to, even if it did seem better than what the future promises.
    Life is a merry-go-round..it's ups and downs can leave us reeling and wondering what next....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is so unlike you, Nicholas! I am sure that you will get over this slump.
    Just make sure that you enjoy the present and not worry overly about the past.
    (I love the song!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this song
    we all have our ups and downs
    youll soon cheerup

    ReplyDelete