Saturday 17 September 2011

MELANCHOLY SATURDAY NIGHT


“Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth; and therefore to such as are discontent, in woe, fear, sorrow, or dejected, it is a most present remedy” - Robert Burton

A very busy day in the garden today with lots done, but extremely tiring… Every muscle and bone in my body is aching and I nearly ripped a nail off on my right hand (very painful!). The results are work the effort, “no pain, no gain as they say”. And the day slowly wound down to an evening of wind a couple of short showers, and suddenly it was night. A melancholy feeling has taken hold of me tonight and I can't seem to shake it off. So, instead of going against it, I am going with its flow and immersing myself in it.

What better music for this dark, liquid, blue journey than Anna Moffo singing Rachmaninoff’s “Vocalise” with the American Symphony Orchestra conducted by Leopold Stokowski in what is now a classic recording of this gem. Enjoy this melancholy music, that makes of sadness a pleasure.

2 comments: