Wednesday 26 August 2015

POETS UNITED - THE JOY OF POETRY

“And your very flesh shall be a great poem.” - Walt Whitman

Poets United this week explores the concept of poetry and what it means to be a poet and write poems. Here is my contribution:

Tears of Ink

Be wiped away by paper virgin white
My tears of ink;
Escape from your confining prison
Fly free, my caged swallows, flee.

Music be played, black notes sound and come alive,
My melodies, ring out and stir the silent air!
Take fire, burn bright, darkness break
The brand is ready, lit.

Come follow in the pure and pallid snow
Treading on my footsteps dark;
Those not afraid of frozen wastelands
Will be rewarded.

What cannot be said
Will be written as poetry;
Those who truly feel,
will surely understand and know…

16 comments:

  1. A lot of poetry is about feeling, even beyond the words it is something
    you feel, sometimes when you even can not describe it just right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this unfolding quality is a thing to be cherished, the gift of the poet, the gift of words rolling together to say just what should be
    Enjoyed your take on today's prompt

    Have a nice Wednesday

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the unsaid things are somehow said in poetry...paradoxically!

    Poems at Daybreak

    ReplyDelete
  4. ... those who truly feel ~~~ I love that line, great write!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How I adore your opening verse - the tears of ink upon the page and the exhortation to "fly free, my caged swallows, flee." Wow! "Those not afraid of frozen wastelands will be rewarded." What a gorgeous line. I bow before the truth of your closing stanza.......it is so exactly right. Thanks so much for putting such fine words to the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely adore the last stanza :D such a deep & profound poem this is :D
    Beautifully executed :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. What cannot be said
    Will be written as poetry;
    Those who truly feel,
    will surely understand and know… You said that beautifully and truthfully

    ReplyDelete
  8. And that is why we write . . . yes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow amazing images! I love the "tears of ink" and the "footsteps dark on virgin snow"...

    ReplyDelete
  10. So true, what cannot be said will be written in poetry. Thank goodness for poetry to be the depository of so many of our thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. true...poetry is all about feeling and freedom..."Fly free, my caged swallows, flee"...my favorite lines..

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a beautiful piece, Nicholas. I love the pace of the poem and the images you've created.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this. Beneath its calm exterior, I sense a passion here and I really enjoyed the images, the idea of freeing our feelings. This is a great poem!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very well written. I like the feel of turbulence in this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What cannot be said is always more palatable as poetry.Reading between the lines, having an insight is required from the reader, as well I agree.

    ReplyDelete